Hunterdon Art Museum, a center for contemporary art, craft, and design, presents exhibitions of new and innovative art and has an active studio school. Located in a nineteenth century mill on the banks of the South Branch of the Raritan River, in Clinton, New Jersey, the Museum is on the National Historic Register.
We are seeking a Weekend Administrator who will work on Saturdays and/or Sundays.
The essential functions include:
- greeting visitors and directing guests to the program or gallery they wish to see
- answering visitors’ questions
- accepting admission fees
- handling shop sales (suspended during Covid), membership sales and gift certificates
- answering the phone, taking messages
- sorting and distributing the mail (not applicable for Sunday administrator)
- registering students for classes
- checking in students
- doing clerical work
- updating the Museum’s database and various lists
- gaining a basic understanding of our education programs in order to answer questions and take enrollments as per procedure
- monitoring the exhibition galleries
- ensuring that the building’s operations, for example, HVAC and lighting, are functioning by taking care of minor malfunctions or contacting the proper person
- keeping the first floor and outside entrance area tidy
- handling volunteer inquiries
- accurately recording admission numbers and entering weekly numbers on our fiscal year spreadsheet
- ensuring that our visitor Covid safety procedures are followed
The marginal functions include:
- retrieving and accepting artwork for students and exhibiting artists
- accepting and storing delivered packages
The successful candidate must be reliable, self-sufficient, articulate, and friendly.
- ability to work professionally and courteously at all times with staff, faculty, students, and the general public
- ability to handle phone and walk-in traffic
- ability to professionally, cordially, and efficiently meet the needs of the public during times of high volume visitation during events such as exhibition openings, facility rentals, etc. (suspended during the Covid-19 pandemic)
- proficiency with office software applications including word processing, spreadsheets, databases, calendars and email systems
- experience working with the public
- ability to multi-task
- knowledge of contemporary art
Hours vary depending upon the activities taking place. They vary from a start time of 9 or 10:45 to a closing time of 5 or occasionally 6.
Salary: minimum wage
Please email a resume and cover letter to [email protected] and use weekend administrator as the subject.
Hunterdon Art Museum is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to diverse cultural and social perspectives. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or gender identity.